Cultural Corridors of South East Europe

South East Europe / Diagonal Road

Architectural Ensemble – Lomnica Monastery

Info Sections
Architectural Ensemble – Lomnica Monastery

About the site


Corridor: Diagonal Road
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sekovici, Sekovici Municipality
Type: Christian religious centre
Epoch: Middle Ages
Theme: Christian Monasteries
World Heritage:
Middle AgesChristian MonasteriesChristian religious centre

The Lomnica Monastery ensemble comprises: the church, the konak and movable heritage of 23 icons and a choir. It is located near Sekovici in eastern Bosnia. There are many stechak necropolises around the Monastery, some decorated by grapevine and one bearing an inscription.
The Church of St George is the only remains of the former monastery complex. It was probably built in the seventh or eighth decade of the 16th century, while the oldest written traces about the monastery are two inscriptions from 1578.
The Lomnica church possesses the best preserved wall paintings from the 16th century in the area west of the Drina river. Also, the Lomnica programme can be included among the most complete and best preserved fresco decorations of 16th and 17th century painting in the Pech Patriarchy.
A special value of the church is the iconostasis of the Pech monk Longin, completed in 1578, which is also the most valuable and most beautiful iconostasis in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Other important objects of artisanship from Lomnica include two choir tables decorated with intarsia. The stands at Lomnica are in no way similar to those from intarsia workshops of the Herzegovina region, nor to works from Macedonia, which leads us to the conclusion that they were made exclusively in Lomnica.


Expert Network