Cultural Corridors of South East Europe

Heritage by Period / Modern Times

Cathedral of Jesus' Heart

Info Sections
Cathedral of Jesus' Heart

About the site


Corridor: Diagonal Road
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
Type: Christian religious centre
Epoch: Modern Times
Theme:
World Heritage:
Modern TimesChristian religious centre

The Cathedral is located in the very centre of the city, in the border zone where urban matrices dating from the Late Middle Ages period.
The number of Christian population grew rapidly in the eighties of the 19th century, so that the need arose to build the Cathedral in Sarajevo. Archbishop Josip Stadler, the person who ordered and initiated the construction of the Cathedral, and architect Josip Vancaš, the designer, are most responsible for its construction. The solemn beginning of works was announced on 25 August 1884 and the structure was completed and consecrated in 1889.
The Cathedral makes one of the most representative major works of historicism in Bosnia and Herzegovina. In that respect, it represents a complete monument since its interior – building of the walls, floors, windows and furniture – developed at the same time when the building was constructed. An important role in respect to its external features belongs to the bell towers on the southern facade, which have been somewhat shortened in comparison to the initial design of Vancas, so that their present height is 43.20 meters. A sculpture of the Heart of Jesus, the work of the Viennese sculptor A. Hausmann, rests on the top of the portal, partly in front of the rosette. A large rosette, decorated with stained glass, with almost 5 m across, is placed on the eastern wall above the entrance portal. The windows of the Church are decorated with stained glass, produced in Innsbruck according to sketches by Vancas. Ivan Novotny carried out the wood carving works in the Church, also according to sketches by Vancas.

Expert network