Cultural Corridors of South East Europe

Heritage by Period / Modern Times

Old Town of Vranduk

Info Sections
Old Town of Vranduk

About the site


Corridor: Diagonal Road
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Vranduk
Type: Fortress
Epoch: Modern Times, Middle Ages
Theme: Fortresses
World Heritage:
Modern TimesMiddle AgesFortressesFortress

The settlement of Vranduk with its old town is situated on the left valley side of the Bosna River.
With its natural and geographical position, Vranduk guards the way to Central Bosnia. The town lies on a very important, strategic road that used to lead from Visoko to the river of Sava, along the valley of the Bosna.
A specific relation between the fort and the town below, which gives the whole picture of Vranduk a special value, marks this settlement. Despite subsequent repairs, this fortress has preserved its original simple shapes reminiscent of the early arrangements of European fortifications.
The exact time of its construction cannot be determined. Apart from the main tower, there was originally a wooden structure in that place intended for garrison and a cistern. It is assumed that this town was built at the end of the 14th century. Between the 14th century and the year 1463, Vranduk was first a ban’s and later a royal town that belonged to King’s land. It was also the only fortified town in the mediaeval Bosnian perish of Brod during that time. Historical documents emphasise the military function of this fortification. It was first mentioned in the letter written to King Sigmund by the Government of Dubrovnik on 11 March 1410. The Captaincy of Vranduk was founded in the 18th century and at the end of the 19th century and later the town lost its strategic importance.

Expert Network